Saturday, June 15, 2013

Paraglide


Bindabasini Temple
We were back to Pokhara. Paragliding was next on to-do list. Before we headed to Sarangkot (1425m) where the take off is done, we had a whole morning to spare. Hail a taxi! No, you cannot. You have to/ must take the one on queue whether or not you like it and they do not run on a meter. We were annoyed really. We passed by old Pokhara, went for thakali lunch (recommended by uncle) and spent some time in Bindabasini temple where we were picked up for paragliding. The drive to the top of the hill was dangerous, not because of the road but the speed the jeep was rolling on. I should  have filmed a video on.
Taking off
Some instructions on Dos and Don't and we were ready to fly. Well, I wasn't. The experience of leaving the ground was wonderful although I was fearing a brief heart attack, being a phobic. We took off in jiffy. The bird eye view of few lake and the whole Pokhara valley was awesome. As we slowly flew towards Fewa lake, the instructor offered acrobatic flying. I guess the acrobatics were to be amazing. It was like a spinning bug in a drain. Hard driving pressure and wind up against the face and chest along with the gravity made me sick in just a matter of seconds. I asked him to stop. I kept my eyes closed. 
Sliding off

Son taking off
We didn't hover around much but on the same area in soft and open loops. We headed down over the lake and coasted toward the landing area. Half a dozen people came to help us land and collect the paraglide. The instructor helped me to unclip. He asked me how the flying experience was, he was filming. I couldnt speak up, for I was shaking all over. It took me a while to get over it. I waited for Sona to land and Rajya aunty & Basu uncle to arrive. My cousin had a story to tell. They landed on field nearby due to bad weather condition. I guess it was the wind. She had bruises all over her body. It was quite a bit of experience for both of us.
Brief jeep ride back to town and we had no time to stay and collect our videos/photos but to run again, to come back to Kathmandu this time.


Pokhara, Kaski District, Gandaki Zone