Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Bhai Tika




This is the  final day and is the most important of Yamapanchak/Tihar festival. On this day, sisters pray for their  brothers' longevity and prosperity offering them various delicacies. The ritual includes offering 'makhamali' flower, walnut, ring of mustard oil and Paanch Rangi Tika which includes five colours- yellow, green, red, blue and white. According to hindu religion, Bhai-tika is performed by sisters to protect their brothers from Lord Yama, the god of death. 


 My assistant for decorating mandap was my five year old brother Abhinash (aunty's son). It was hard to get hold of him but I drove him off with the gun, not really. He helped me throughout and in return I put tika on him. He was more interested in what's on the mandap. 

When there are too many elders, you just have to follow them. You copy them, repeat whatever they do. One of  the fupus didn't turn up. Perhaps to do with her religion, I  woulnt know. We had fun.

The ritual of offering sagun, fruits and nuts and gifts continued throughout. It was sort of give and take. I could see smiles on all of them including the audience, the moms. Sisters were happy with the gifts/cheques they received  and so were brothers. Cousin Sagar did a ramp walk  covering himself top to toe with the gifts he received.

All this time, I was thinking of all of us, seven of us, lucky seven of us. We used to have so much fun, memories remain. If only going back was possible, I would to childhood days.